Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a question about the Dixie Cup and its sometimes quixotic nature, you might (not likely, but almost anything is possible) find the answer on this very page. If you can't find an answer to your question, please contact Janine Weber at firstname.lastname@example.org, the Dixie Cup coordinator, who will be happy to answer your questions.
- My beer or mead is in nip (or bomber, swing-top, etc.) bottles. Can I enter it?
While we prefer all entries to be in 11-12 oz. brown bottles, we realize that many brewers do use nip bottles for strong beers and meads. Therefore, we will gladly accept nip bottles in the appropriate categories.
Bombers, swing-tops, and other odd-sized bottles are discouraged, but if you must, we will accept these non-standard bottles, even for strong beers.
Whatever size bottles you enter, remember to remove all labels and other identifying markings. The reason for this is that it keeps the bottles anonymous for judging and thereby making it fair. Unique bottles can be recognized by a judge and possibly treated differently than an anonymous bottle.
- I only have two bottles of a beer I'd like to enter. Can I still enter it?
Yes, but the entry will not be eligible for best-of-show.
We do ask, however, that you include a note with your entries that identifies which are two-bottle entries (not required for the special Dixie Cup styles which only require two bottles and are not eligible for best-of-show anyway). Failure to do so may delay the processing of your entries. Another option is to include an empty water bottle with the entry form rubber-banded to it. We will place this empty bottle in the third round box and no one will get a headache.
- How do I register to attend the Dixie Cup?
The Dixie Cup is a members-only event because of our sometimes-odd Texas laws. To purchase a membership in the Foam Rangers please visit our Foam Store website.You will be glad that you did!
- Where can I order T-Shirts, Pub Crawl Tickets or other items?
T-Shirts, Pub Crawl tickets or other cool Foam Ranger items are available at the Foam Store website.
- Why should I register my entries online?
- You don't need to submit a recipe form and the bottle labels are automatically generated for you.
- It makes our life easier since the data slaves do not need to enter your information into the computer (as if you care how easy our life is).
- If you have sloppy handwriting, online registration will eliminate the possibility that your entry will be entered in the wrong category (unless you put the wrong labels on the bottles).
- It saves - you - money.
- I don't have a PayPal account. How can I pay online?
Online payments can be made with PayPal using a major credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, or Discover). PayPal is a very safe way to pay online.
- I've already paid online but I changed my mind and decided not to enter one of my entries. How can I get a refund?
Please email the Dixie Cup coordinator and provide the registration code(s) of the entry(ies) you will not be entering. Your PayPal account or credit card will be credited and the entry(ies) will be deleted from the database.
- Which style guidelines is the Dixie Cup using?
The Dixie Cup is using the 2015 BJCP style guidelines.
- Why is there air?
To fill basketballs, of course.